Get a Make Over For Your Smile With Cosmetic Dentistry
December 9, 2015
What is Cosmetic Dentistry?
Most people know that regular visits to the dentist for cleanings are necessary to keep your teeth healthy. Sometimes, though, our focus is on improving the appearance of our smiles with elective treatments. Technological advancements have made smile makeovers easier and longer lasting. Cosmetic Dentistry is a must for anyone who desires to improve the look of their teeth in a safe and nurturing atmosphere.
What Treatment Are You Looking For?
Let the professionals at Addison Dental help you chose the treatment that is right for you:
- Bleaching: Perhaps the most common type of cosmetic dentistry is bleaching. The many options available for bleaching can seem overwhelming so discussing which one is right for you with the professionals at Addison Dental is essential in making the right choice for your smile. There are many over the counter systems including whitening toothpaste, rinses and strips. These products may lighten the teeth by only up to one shade as opposed to professional lighting which can lighten the teeth by up to eight shades. The advantage to in-office whitening is that it’s the quickest way to get white teeth.
- Bonding: There are many ways that a tooth can be chipped or cracked, from vigorous kissing to carelessly raising a glass soda bottle for a drink and the best way to get that broken toothy smile- ready again is a composite bond. In this procedure, a composite material that looks identical to tooth enamel is applied directly to the tooth. It is then shaped and contoured after which a high-intensity light is used to harden the composite. This process can also be used to replace old silver fillings as the composite material matches the color of the tooth and is more aesthetically pleasing.
- Crowns and Dental Implants: Dental implants are often recommended when teeth are missing, due to injury or decay. Missing teeth can make it difficult to chew and can also cause a person’s face to sag, which has an undesirable aging effect. The actual implant, usually made of titanium, is what replaces the root and is implanted into the jawbone. The crown is the part that looks like the actual tooth and is securely attached to the implant. Implants can be costly and time-consuming, but they also have an extremely long life expectancy and have the advantage of feeling closest to your real, natural teeth.
- Veneers: Veneers are thin strips of porcelain or composite resin that are attached with an adhesive to the original teeth. One reason for getting veneers includes covering severe discoloration that is beyond the scope of whitening. Another reason would be to repair a broken or chipped or worn tooth. Veneers can also help correct gaps between teeth, teeth that have odd shapes or teeth that are unevenly spaced. One advantage of veneers is that they can protect the surface of damaged teeth eliminating the need for more costly treatments. Deciding between porcelain and a composite resin is something to discuss with your dentist.
- Contouring and Reshaping: This is a process that works well for people who have healthy, normal teeth but desire subtle aesthetic changes. Correcting small problems such as chips, crooked or irregular shaped teeth or even issues with bite can be solved with contouring and reshaping. The length, position of the tooth or shape can be addressed with this procedure. It is often combined with bonding for the best results. The process involves removing small amounts of enamel to minimize the imperfections. It is surprising how little enamel has to be removed to see amazing results. Contouring is a very cost-effective way to a picture perfect smile.
Who Gets Cosmetic Dentistry?
Cosmetic dentistry is not just for the rich and famous anymore. Rapidly advancing technology, new methods and techniques have made cosmetic dentistry more available to everyone. It is becoming increasingly popular for bridal parties to schedule services together. If you’re in the job market and are looking for ways to improve your appearance, having a dazzling smile works towards getting your foot in the door! Are you newly single and in the dating scene again? The best thing you can do for an online dating profile is to have a photograph showing a nice, white smile. Whatever your reason, there is no time like now to make an appointment for a consultation with the professionals at Addison Dental.
Take the time to discuss with your dental professional which service will be the right one for your needs. There are many factors to consider and weigh, such as cost, time involved, the health of your teeth, etc. Whether you are in the market for a full mouth reconstruction or a little “smile makeover” to hide a few imperfections, Addison Dental is here to answer all of your questions.