Everyone knows that smoking is not good for smoker’s health. Even it’s hard to quit smoking, you can do it if you are determined and really want to stop it to protect your health. Giving up smoking will help reduce the risk of serious diseases like heart’s stroke, lung cancer or smoker’s cough. Therefore, you will live longer, healthier and happier. Here are some really simple but successful tips that you can use to quit cigarette and the habit of smoking:
- Make a quit plan
Firstly, you need to make a quit plan with your set date. The quit date will be the day you completely stop smoking. From the date you start quitting smoking, you should continuously cut down the number of cigarettes you smoke, probably a half of cigarette and only smoke during specific hours of the day until you can finally get rid of nicotine. Sticking with your plan and checking the result every week to see how far you have been through. Compensate you for your success and remember to make the quit date sooner not later.
- Be positive
Giving up smoking means ignoring the cravings for nicotine and the urge of smoking habit. That’s why it is not easy to give up, especially for those who have smoked for years. Most people must try several times before they can finally succeed. If you light up, don’t give it up. Remind yourself of the reasons why you need to stop smoking, look back what you have already got through, keep the can-do attitude in your mind and try again.
- Keep yourself truly busy
Being active will help cut cravings and produce some anti-craving chemicals. Make your day busy with plans and activities instead of sitting down with a cigarette. Spend time in a café, a library or any places that do not allow smoking. Every time you feel the urge inside you, do exercises or go for a walk with your friends. And then, it will pass in a few minutes and you can control the cravings.
- Use Nicotine replacement therapy (NRT)
Nicotine replacement therapy (NRT) is considered one of the most common methods for those who smoke heavily or who need extra help. Once it is used properly, NRT can help relieve physical withdrawal symptoms and cravings by giving you a controlled amount of nicotine but none of dangerous ingredients found in cigarettes or tobacco. NRT is safe and effective and can be found in various forms such as chewing gum, nicotine patches, nasal spray or e-cigarettes. These medications help you to quit smoking easier.
- Ask for support from others
As soon as you start your quitting process, inform your family, friends, girlfriend/ boyfriend that you are trying to stop smoking. They will support you and encourage you to keep moving for sure, especially when it comes to hard time and you seem to smoke again. You can also join stop smoking groups or ask for advices from doctors, trainers or even a friend who has successfully quitted.
- Apply Home remedies To Promote Your Efforts
Even if you have tried many pharmaceutical remedies or have been consulting to doctors, you can also combine with some natural remedies that are simple and can be found at home but still effective to double the chances to quit smoking for good.
- Water: Don’t be surprised when you see this solution because water is so important to human body. As we know, cigarettes contains various harmful chemicals such as tobacco and nicotine but drinking enough water is the ultimate remedy to counteract some of them and detoxify your body. When you are trying to give up smoking, make sure you drink at least 10 glasses of water per day.
- Ginger: One of the most common withdrawal feelings when you quit smoking is nausea. To calm your stomach, you can take ginger in capsules, candy or a cup of tea. It tends to quickly help you overcome the nausea and keep you not taking cigarettes for relieve.
- Oats: Like water, oats help to flush out the harmful toxins out of the body and also decrease the craving for nicotine. You can find oats available at stores or in the market and take them with your daily meals. Cooking porridge with oats or simply adding 2 teaspoons of oats to a cup of boiled water and leave it overnight.
- Honey: Honey is another excellent remedy in handling the cessation process of smoking. Honey contains many essential vitamins, proteins and enzymes, which help in quitting the habit of smoking easily. Apart from that, honey heals skin and oral damages triggered by smoking.
- Ginseng: Ginseng is another effective way to quit smoking without using any medical treatment. Add a teaspoon of ginseng powder in fruit juices, cereal or soup during your breakfast to help reduce the nicotine craving all day.