Many of us today face problems in sleeping, due to workload, excessive stress, emotional breakdowns, etc. Given below are top 5 herbal supplements to aid your sleep.
- Magnesium/Calcium – magnesium and calcium are both influential in aiding sleep. Magnesium is one of the best minerals when it comes to relaxing. It helps minimize the body’s response to overly stressful stimuli. It is the primary ingredient in muscle relaxation. Magnesium has a neuro-protective effect that is crucial to every stage of sleep. It assists in slow metabolic processes which lowers the temperature of the brain (like a fan cooling your processor) as your body attempts to repair the damages during sleep cycle. It also regulates hormones in your body which not only helps you to fall asleep, but also keeps you asleep. Almost everyone suffers from magnesium deficiency, so it is not a rarity. You need an equivalent number of milligrams of magnesium, as roughly 5 times your body weight measured in pounds.
Calcium is another vital mineral which relaxes the body. Calcium is critical for calming the entire nervous system, and getting you to sleep. Endomet Paramin is a supplement which is a combination of both magnesium and calcium, and gives your body the highest absorption rate for these minerals.
- Kratom – one of the natural benefits provided by kratom is sleep induction. It has sedative properties which are useful to put someone to sleep. Kratom leaves come from the mitragyna plant found in south-east Asia. Kratom leaves contain alkaloids which interact with the body and mind. These alkaloids come in contact with the adrenoreceptors within the cell, and bind with them. Upon binding, they transfer signals to the nervous system. This action leads to alteration of heart rate, breathing, and also controls the body temperature, making us more calm and relaxed. Kratom leaves also offers peace of mind to our working and overly stressed brain. Anxiety, tension and stress are lowered. Kratom can be taken an hour or two before going to bed. It is important to know the type of strain and dosage while using kratom, since some strains cause sedation, which u require, while others may cause stimulation too. It should not be mistaken as a sleeping pill and ingested quickly.
The sedation properties of kratom are more organic. It is better than a sleeping pill which just knocks you out. Kratom is definitely safe for anyone using it as it has minimal side effects. As long as you take it in recommended doses, there is no fear of a hangover or related issues. Top kratom strains for sedation include red-veined leaf kratom products.
- Ashwagandha and adaptogenic herbs – ashwagandha is an adaptogenic herb that maintains the proper release of cortisol, a steroid hormone of the adrenal gland which is released in response to stress and low blood-glucose concentration. It has been used in ayurvedic medicines for thousands of years. Animal and human studies have shown that ashwagandha posseses anti-inflammatory, anti-oxidant, adaptogenic, anti-pyretic and anti-microbial properties, as well as anxiety relieving and mood elevating capabilities.
According to medical researchers, ashwagandha owes its relaxant properties to an alkaloid group called “withanolides”. It works as a depressant on the central nervous system, causing a sensation of tranquility and relaxation, thus making it easiers and quicker to achieve slumber. Ashwagandha has been in India for centuries now and many people from all around the globe, are ditching counter sleep aids and pills and trying this herbal mechanism.
Rhodiola, astragalus, schizandra berry, and holy basil are other adaptogenic herbs which calm both the body and the mind. They took control the cortisol production from the adrenal glands by normalizing biochemical impulses so that you can sleep peacefully. All of them are organic and an herbal alternative to pills and other sleep inducing sedatives.
- Melatonin – melatonin can really help to reschedule your internal clock and get your sleep timings back on track. It is mainly meant for people whose daily work schedule changes. The use of melatonin has side effects, and it is advised to take time-released melatonin for a few weeks only or as per the requirement to get circadian rhythms back in the correct order. Natural levels of melatonin in the blood are the highest at night. It might also help to reduce the time it takes to fall asleep. The common side effects of melatonin include daytime sleepiness, headaches and dizziness. 5-HTP is a precursor to melatonin and serotonin which works to regulate mood and behavior. Supplementing 5-HTP can provide your body with the building blocks to make more melatonin.
- Theanine and GABA – L-Theanine is a naturally occurring amino acid which was first discovered in green tea. It is a well-known anti-anxiety supplement with proven relaxation benefits as well. GABA or gamma-amino-butyric acid is the most important and widespread inhibitory neurotransmitter in the brain. Excitation in the brain must be reduced with inhibition. GABA is able to induce relaxation, analgesia and sleep. It comes in the form of GABA capsules in 250mg dosage, required to be taken on an empty stomach, 1-4 per day (as per the requirement) to help in stress reduction and tension relief, to help you sleep better.