Our mouth is an important part of our body and it is important to take the best care of it to stay healthy. A beautiful smile can brighten your day and other`s, but that can only happen when your teeth and gums are in good health.
A good oral hygiene is essential and should cover multiple steps including brushing, flossing, scraping your tongue and also using a mouthwash. Even then cavities and various periodontal diseases are possible. The reason behind this is that we rarely notice what we consume.
Processed and packaged foods are filled with heavily acidic components and a lot of sugar, both of which have a tremendous negative impact on dental health.
Using fluoride-rich toothpaste alone cannot combat the damage caused by these food items to your teeth and gums. So, what is it that we can do to have healthy gums and teeth?
Well, the right diet can solve almost every problem in your body and similarly including certain foods can help enhance your gum and teeth health.
- Berries and Tea: These delicious cranberries can give you more than just an amazing cocktail. Consuming foods rich in anthocyanins such as cranberries, blueberries, black rice, raspberries, red cabbage etc, helps eliminate attachment of pathogen which then colonizes. This will help prevent the growth of disease-causing germs on the gums and keep your mouth in great health. Green and black tea are also amazing foods for maintaining healthy gums for the same reason. All these foods contain polyphenols which reduce production of toxic products in your mouth.
- Vitamin C rich foods: Vitamin C helps reduce inflammation and produce collagens which are important to fight gum diseases. Some food containing Vitamin C are strawberries, papaya, citrus fruits, kale, bell peppers, cantaloupe etc. However, it is preferred to have orange over other citrus fruits as this is the least acidic one and hence will not adversely affect your teeth.
- Crunchy and firm vegetables and fruits: Our body uses saliva as the natural way to neutralize the bacteria present in our mouth that causes tooth damage. Chewing crunchy vegetables and fruits such as carrots, celery, apples, etc which also have high water content lead to the production of more saliva which will naturally protect your gums and teeth. Also, the texture of these smoothly exfoliates the surfaces thus removing any food particles.
- Red Wine: Red wine is considered a villain to beautiful teeth by many due to its acidic nature. But, unlike what most people think, red wine actually has positive effects on overall dental health. It contains polyphenols caffeic and p-coumaric acids which are proved very effective against plaque and cavity-causing germs. Red wine has antimicrobial properties which when consumed regularly can help fight against cavity-causing bacteria. However, It is important to remember to consume wine in moderate quantities preferably with food in order to avoid damage to the teeth enamel caused by its acidic nature.
So you get a reason to raise a glass now.
- Cheese and Yogurt: Calcium is a very important mineral for our teeth. Calcium deficiency is among the top reasons that cause problems related to your teeth. Consuming food rich in calcium, especially dairy products is very healthy. Adding natural cheese which is also rich in whey protein and yogurt which is enriched with probiotics will certainly protect your dental health as well as help fight bad breath.
- Red Meat: Protein can help improve various bodily functions. Consuming foods which are rich in protein such as red meat can be very beneficial. Protein is important for the tooth structure just like calcium and also promotes tissue development. It improves blood flow and also increases your immunity to fight against any diseases. Red meat apart from being a rich source of protein also is filled with iron and hence including it in your diet is essential for good dental health.
- Nuts and Raisins: Similar to crunchy vegetables and fruits, chewing nuts also produces more saliva in the mouth which will naturally protect you against toxic pathogen growth. Nuts are packed with phosphorus and calcium which are both crucial components in maintaining good dental health. Raisins, although considered to have a bad effect on your teeth, is rich in oleanolic which can kill cavity-causing bacteria. It is also rich in antioxidants which is essential for good teeth and gums.
Apart from the foods mentioned above, including a lot of leafy vegetables and whole food rich in lean protein is good for your dental health. Vitamin D rich food such as fish, egg etc, is also very good. Make the best use of water to wash away food particles as well as keep your saliva level in balance. Staying hydrated can turn out very beneficial for your gums and teeth. Chewing gum also has a similar effect on the mouth as it enhances production of saliva and makes the natural defense mechanism stronger.
While all these foods items can be a defense mechanism, keeping your teeth and gums clean of food particles by brushing is very important. Try to carry gum in situations where you cannot brush immediately or use water to wash away these particles. However you must visit your nearest medical center in case there is a persistent problem with your gums or teeth.
Healthy teeth and gums can come from a healthy diet.
So, choose some of the above-listed foods to your shopping cart over processed food and drinks for a gorgeous smile.