Harmful Effects of Mould on Human Health

September 25, 2017

According to the World Health Organization, exposure to indoor dampness and mould is one of the main causes of childhood asthma. Furthermore, this exposure has also been associated with insomnia in adults, as well as depression, various skin problems and weakened immune system. Spending the majority of time in damp homes and inhaling the mould fragments can jeopardize our health, causing nasal congestion, chest tightness, wheezing and various other health issues.

Respiratory problems

Throat irritation, coughing, wheezing, nasal congestion and chest tightness are just some of the health problems that long exposure to mould can cause. Even though mould isn’t toxic, it produces irritating substances that can lead to more serious respiratory problems. Spending a lot of time in a damp room can significantly impair one’s lung function, which can result in a chronic health problem such as asthma. Bronchitis, allergic rhinitis, and respiratory infections are also some of the possible health problems that long exposure to mould could trigger. Black mould is one of the most dangerous types of mould that can cause irritation of the skin, but also idiopathic pulmonary haemosiderosis i.e. bleeding from the lung. Hypersensitivity pneumonitis is also one of the possible conditions that exposure to mould leads to, and it is similar to pneumonia. It usually occurs in individuals who were living in damp homes for years and are especially susceptible to lung disease.

Skin irritation

If mould comes into contact with skin, it can cause rashes or dermatitis. Burning sensation in the skin, throat, lungs, eyes and nose indicate that a person has been exposed to mould for too long. Yeast infection and athlete’s foot are also possible side effects. It’s important to know that the more a person is exposed to mould the more sensitive they’ll become to it.

Neurological problems

A study has shown that living in a damp and mouldy residence is linked to a higher risk of depression. Furthermore, loss of coordination, headaches, tremors, anxiety, and multiple sclerosis can also be some of the neurological problems people can suffer from if they’re exposed to mouldy environment. 


Living in a soggy home can also disturb our sleeping pattern. Namely, according to research, mould exposure was related to higher risk for a short of sleep time. Considering respiratory problems are some of the main side effects of mould exposure, difficult breathing will eventually prevent a person from catching a wink of sleep. In the long run, this can lead to a disrupted sleeping pattern and eventually cause insomnia.

How to prevent and eliminate mould

Damp basement, peeling or cracked paint or wallpaper, frequent condensation, water stains, and mould odour are all the signs of wet home as well as the visible mould itself is. With a few simple measures, you could successfully minimise indoor mould and even prevent any new mould from developing. One of the best things to do first is to consult professionals and research any possible measures you can implement to decrease the mould in your home. Make your home a clean and healthy place and contact EnviroX Consulting team to inspect your house and determine the health risks associated with microbiological infections. After a detailed inspection, they’ll come up with the best solution for the mould removal.

Furthermore, something you could do by yourself to avoid mould spreading in the home is to try to control the presence of moisture. Check regularly for any plumbing leaks or leaks in some other structures that can cause moisture build-up. If your home is flooded, try to dry it within 24 to 48 hours to prevent the mould from spreading. Air dehumidifiers could also help in drying out the living space.

If your bathroom or basement is damp, don’t use carpets in those rooms, so you can prevent the mould build-up. Always leave the bathroom window open while you’re showering to prevent the walls from absorbing too much moisture. If you don’t have a window, consider leaving the door open, or installing a ventilation system that will keep the room dry.

Control and maintain rain and surface water drainage to avoid water leaks that can cause severe damage to the house and your health. Clean the mould with soap and water, and if the mould is persistent, the best solution is bleach. The best way to prevent mould in cupboards is to hang six sticks of chalk tied with a ribbon in the cupboard, so they can absorb all the moisture and prevent it from spreading on the wood.

Various studies have shown that mould can have a hazardous effect on human health. This is why you should inspect your home regularly, to check whether it’s damp or not. In case you find any mould, be sure to remove it or call professionals for help. Don’t let your family suffer from allergies, respiratory problems, depression or even lung haemorrhaging just because you didn’t discover the mould problem in time.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *