Collagen is one of the most important structural components of the skin. Collagen is the most abundant protein present in our body. You must be wondering why this protein is so significant. It is not surprising to know that our skin is comprised of 70% collagen protein and also, collagen itself makes 30% of the proteins present in our body. Also there are various collagen supplements and collagen products that are available in the market so as to improve the health of the skin and other body tissues. Let us read about the astounding facts about this collagen protein as it plays a very crucial role in maintenance of our skin health and vitality.
So here it goes!!
- The word “collagen” is originated from the Greek “kolla,” which means glue.
It is very interesting to note that over 4000 years ago, Egyptians used collagen as an adhesive for the very first time.
- Collagen is one of the vital fibrous proteins of the human body.
Collagen fibers are the most abundant protein structures that are present in our whole body especially in the skin tissue, bones and connective tissues of our body. We are already aware that collagen constitutes 30% of the total protein content of our body. The collagen fibers provide support and strength to the skin cells and hence are responsible for maintaining elasticity of the skin tissue.
- There are total 12 types of collagen fibers.
One should know that the body comprises of 12 different types of collagen fibers and all these collagen fibers are comprised of different amino acids. Also, one should note that different collagen supplements comprises of different types of collagen proteins hence, one must consult the health practitioner before consuming any of such collagen products or collagen supplements.
- The concentration of collagen protein is lower in women as compared to that of men.
It should be noted that men contain a higher density of collagen protein as compared to women. Due to this, the females appear to age faster as compared to males. Well, this may seem unfair to women but this is true.
But don’t worry ladies; we have collagen products available in the market for you to boost your collagen levels. Also, to increase the collagen concentration, females can take certain food items that are highly rich in protein content such as soy, fish, chicken and other low fat containing dairy products.
- Collagen products aids in enhancing firmness and elasticity of the skin.
Collagen products including certain creams and powders enhance the levels of collagen in the body and helps in revitalization of the skin. However, these collagen products do not directly increase the collagen levels but these products have moisturizing effect which in turn increases the elasticity of the skin, lessens the signs of wrinkles and other skin imperfections.
There are many collagen products that are obtained from humans and animals such as cows, pigs and sheep. But these sources are non human; hence, one must consult doctor before using any such collagen products as it may cause allergic reactions in the body.\
- Some positive changes in lifestyle can increase collagen production in your body.
One should note that there are certain things that need to be taken care of if you want to keep your skin healthy and perfect.
- Exercising: Exercising regularly enhances collagen production as it aids in the release of sweat from the body. So, if you exercise daily for about 30 minutes in a day, then, collagen levels in your body automatically enhances.
- Sun protection: Put on sun screen before going out on a scorching day, as the ultraviolet radiations from the sun decreases the collagen production in your body.
- Do not smoke: Those who do smoking gets wrinkles 5 times earlier as compared to non smokers. Smoking leads to the formation of destructive enzymes that destroys collagen and it eventually leads to the loss of your skin vigor.
- Do not take stress: One should always avoid taking much stress as it increases the cortisol levels in your body which weakens the collagen bonds. Hence, surround yourself with positive people and spend time doing those things that make you happy and keeps you stress free.
- Anti aging creams can be used to enhance Collagen levels.
It should be taken care that not all anti-aging creams work in the same manner. Only those anti-aging creams should be used that facilitates the natural formation of collagen protein in your body. The anti aging creams should contain those components that aids in maximum absorption and fast production of collage by the skin in the body. Such ingredients are: hyaluronic acid, adenosine sea weed, vitamin A, C and E.
Also, there are certain anti aging creams that contain large collagen molecules that cannot be absorbed by the skin, so when you apply such creams on your skin, these excess large molecules is washed away.
- Collagen production decreases with age.
There is no doubt in this fact. Yes, collagen production declines rapidly once you start growing older. The decrease in collagen production with age leads to appearance of the wrinkles, fine lines, skin imperfections and decrease in firmness of the skin.
Hence, people start consuming the collagen supplements including pills that contain Collagen that facilitates the production of collagen.
- Collagen helps you in keeping your joints healthy.
Besides the maintenance of skin health and vitality, the collagen protein is also one of the major components of the connective tissue, such as tendons, cartilage etc. Hence, the collagen production also aids in increasing the strength of joints. Collagen protein aids in reducing pain, soreness and it prevents damage to the joints.
Research has found that collagen supplements are used in the treatment of osteoarthritis.
- Collagen promotes healing of the wounds
Collagen attracts new skin cells at the site of the wound in order to heal the wounds. It aids in the formation of new tissue. Collagen dressings can help in healing certain types of wounds such as necrotic wounds, chronic wounds that cannot be treated by some other means, second degree burns, skin donation sites and skin drafts etc.
About The Author:
Naman Sharma is the professional copywriter and guest blogger at WLP Free Trials & Collagen Products Blog. He is also passionate about link building and social media management.