In a recent poll, 80% of the world’s population fear to have dementia. The other 20% asked, “what was the question again?” of course I just made up such a poll. On the real, though, a study conducted by huffing post showed that people are twice more fearful of losing their mental ability than their physical.
What’s your name again?
What did I come in here to do?
Did I turn off my iron box this morning?
I know the girl in finance but can’t think of her name.
If you have been in such a situation before, you are not alone. I have been there, and so are many more people. But if you associate memory loss with age then you are mistaken. Well, there are associated. And, no they are not.
Confused? Not just yet, please…
Though some extent of loss of memory is a common part of aging (as from your 30s, your brain’s weight and network of nerves and blood that flow in will begin to decrease), the good news is; memory loss is not inevitable. Your everyday choices may have and will have a big influence on your brain’s ability to age gracefully.
I love you guys, and that’s why I always get you answers from more qualified and experienced individuals. According to Dr. Cathy Alessi, M.D., president of the American Geriatrics Society and professor at the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, “Lifestyle factors can be very important in preventing cognitive decline in older people.” Although there are factors that are totally out of your control— like genetics, some neurologic disorders or past brain injuries—other factors can be prevented as you age.
Most commonly prescribed and over-the-counter drugs like antihistamines and painkillers may greatly interfere with your memory. That kind of memory loss may come on suddenly, but luckily it’s usually short-term and will likely revert to normal when you stop the medication. The solution is basically to shun away from the medicine. If this is not an option, you can adjust your dosage with consultation with your caregiver to help the body adjust.
Your stress level
Are you feeling overwhelmed or anxious? You might be stressed, and this may affect your brain in the form of forgetfulness, confusion, or difficulty concentrating. Stress is not bad for your memory but also for your skin. In fact, there is nothing good that comes from stress. The body responds to stress by releasing a hormone called cortisol. When high levels of cortisol are produced, the high levels of belly fat can lead to memory loss and cognitive impairment. Minimize your stress by regularly exercising. It is the best way to treat it.
Are you taking a diet contain rich in healthy brain food? Apparently you should. What to eat?
Facts: Since 66% of your brain is fat, eating fat is obviously an essential way for neurons to communicate with each other. Healthy fats are unsaturated; liquid at room temperature and mostly come from plants. They’re also found in fish, especially salmon, sardines, tuna, and mackerel). That’s the reason why people who eat a Mediterranean diet have better focus and memory when compared to others.
Humans are social beings. A recent study published in the Journal of Health and Social Behavior shows that anti-social persons are more likely to suffer from those who are socially active and thus recommends a variety of brain stimulation which includes social activity to keep our minds sharper.
Researchers have associated smoking with the shrinking of the hippocampus resulting in reduced cognitive function. According to Whitehall II study, smokers double their risk of “memory deficit and a decline in reasoning abilities.” Smoking includes active smoking and passive smoking. Where possible, avoid staying in poorly ventilated smoking rooms. A study by an Indian university proved that children who stay with relatives that smoke perform poorly in school and this is a result of passive smoking.
Lack of Sleep
Yes, Sleep. It is not only a way of resetting your physical body, but it is critical for reaching new mental insights. “Let me sleep on it”… sleep helps ‘reset’ your brain to help you look at issues from a different perspective that is a crucial brain exercise. Some Harvard researchers indicated that humans were 33% more likely to make the connection between distantly related ideas after sleeping. A single sleep session a day for only 4-6 hours can greatly impact the ability to think.
Lack of vitamin B12
Lack of B vitamins including vitamin B12 increases brain shrinkage by as much as seven-fold in brain regions specifically known to be most impacted by Alzheimer’s disease. According to Provasil reviews, the supplement boosts your daily intake of B12 to levels considered safe for a normal brain operation.
Evlin Symon is Freelance Health Writer and an independent researcher. She is doing research on memory supplements like Alpha ZXT and many more. She is an expert in health, fitness, nutrition, weight loss and beauty. When she is not writing, she can be usually found hitting the Gym.