Did you just return from your eye check up and are miffed with the reports? Do you really wish that you could change what is stated in the reports and get back your normal vision? Well, it might not be too late. In addition to the treatment that you need to go, you need to follow proper and healthy nutritious diet. Are you aware that the right food can alter your vision for the better?
Nature is bountiful. It has provided us with different vegetables and fruits that are a great source of Vitamin A. Carrots are one of the best foods known to improve eyesight. But there are other vitamins and minerals that can work wonders in improving eyesight.
How do these vitamins and minerals help improve your eyesight?
According to research, Vitamin C, E in addition to lutein, zinc, zeaxanthin, and omega-3 fatty acids all have the potential to improve eyesight. It is seen that these vitamins help to fight cataracts.
They can also fight the most-likely cause of vision loss AMD – age-related macular degeneration.
Elizabeth J. Johnson, PhD, research scholar at Tufts University in Boston says that it is always best to opt for fresh foods from where one will get these minerals and vitamins.
Here are some powerhouse foods for healthy eyes to try:
- Spinach and Kale: rich in anti-oxidants, these green leafy vegetables helps to protect the eye against damage from sunlight, air pollution and cigarette smoke. They are loaded with zeaxanthin and lutein. According to Johnson, these anti-oxidants enter the retina and lens of our eyes and help to absorb the damaging light. Most of us are short of these two nutrients. Regular consumption of well-cooked spinach (10 ounces) for a minimum of 1 week can help lower the risk to a great extent. In comparison to spinach, kale has double these nutrients. Hence, try to include kale in your diet as well. Other vegetables like Collard greens, broccoli, and fruits such as kiwis and grapes have them too! Include them as well.
- Grapefruit, Strawberries, and Brussel sprouts: Vitamin C is a top notch anti-oxidant. And when you combine grapefruits with a cup of strawberries or brussle sprouts you are improving your chances of good vision. You can take your pick from papaya, oranges, and green peppers too.
- Seeds, Nuts, and Wheat Germ: did you know that Vitamin E and C help to keep our tissues strong. But most of us hardly get the required amount of Vitamin E from food items. Include a small cup of sunflower seeds in your diet or opt for a tablespoon of wheat germ oil when you are preparing your salad dressing. Vegetable oils, pecans and almonds can also be incorporated in the diet.
- Turkey, Oysters, and Crab: who doesn’t love to eat oysters? They are a rich source of zinc and can keep your eyes in excellent working condition. Opt for a turkey sandwich the next time you carry a sandwich for office lunch. Zinc is also found in peanuts, eggs, whole grains, meats and even whole grains.
- Salmon, Sardines, and Herring: you must be thinking how can these items be good for your eyesight? Salmon, herring and sardine are rich in omega 3 fatty acids that keep our heart and brain active. Most of us are not aware that these items are also great at fighting inflammation and help to keep the eye cells work better. 2 servings of cold-water fish a week is great. Flounder, halibut, and tuna are the other popular alternatives that you can opt for.
- Carrots, Pumpkin, and Sweet Potato: beta carotene is great for vision. Hence, don’t forget to include orange and yellow fruits and vegetables which can convert the Vitamin A in your body and helps to fight night blindness. A small bowl of any one of these items is enough to help you fight for the day.
Optometrists recommend that one should opt for eye checkups after every 3 months. This helps to ensure that your vision remains alright and the ailments (if any) can be detected in the initial stages. In order to ensure proper treatment and eye care, optometrists are using optometry software that allows them to prescribe eye ailments in an accurate manner without any glitch.
With this software, it becomes easy to keep track of a patient’s medical history at a single place instead of managing several files. Send Emailers with this software. In short it makes the work easy and hassle free. There are many online stores that deal in this software.
Please Note: Please be sure to always consult your physician regarding what you should eat and what to avoid. You might be allergic to certain items, so it is better to be sure.